Wednesday, May 10, 2006

eep

I've always admired people who can do something that is unquestionably nerve-wracking, but appear completely non-plussed. I've always wanted to be one of those people...

So on Friday, there will be a local nonprofit's Mother's Day Luncheon for Peace, and, following, the groundbreaking of the Beacon of Peace and Hope, a monument to be built here in Central AR.

The groundbreaking will feature school children singing, appearances by the Mayor and US Senator, and interfaith prayers presented by a Christian, a Rabbi, and a Muslim.

Who would this Muslim be, you may ask, who would be knowledgeable and respected enough to give a prayer at such an important event?

Um.

The imam is out of town and he decided to ask me to do it in his place. While I can see the political aspects of having a female convert represent the local Islamic community, I really, really hope that a lot of zikr went into this. He is a wise man...he put a lot of thought into this...right?

Eep.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Wow! What an honor! I'm sure you'll do a perfect job!

5/11/2006 3:15 PM  
Blogger Bunky said...

According to my mom, her dad was a Presbytarian [sic] Ulsterman who had to get out of town when things got hot. Apparently he said things that the rest of the populace viewed as "fighting words."

(My mom ended up a Unitarian. She can't speak or leave town. She's dead. No, not really. She's in pretty good shape for an old bird, and I'll probably have to die to rid myself of her.)

Do you suppose there's a correlation with your imam's hitting the road, thus leaving you to "perform" the inter-faith benediction?

If this keeps up, you'll become a Unitarian.

5/27/2006 9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home