Tuesday, April 25, 2006

the day before...

My kids have decided that they both love green beans. This is a total surprise to me; I never make plain green beans (generally only add them in to casseroles, stir fries, etc), but my grandmother made some for them when we were over last week. Both the kids absolutely inhaled them. They had them again for lunch today and loved them. What a nice surprise.

We've been having a lot of rain lately. The grass in our back yard is some kind of super grass that grows like crazy and needs to be mowed more often than once a week, but our front yard grows very slowly. There's a random blackberry (?!) patch in our backyard, as well and a nice amount of poison ivy, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to get out the herbicide. I don't want to, but I don't see any other options...

And our rats have gotten way too clever. They discovered that their shelves were hung using zip ties and have taken to chewing them off, making all the shelves crash to the cage floor. I'm going to have to go hunting for a metal alternative, or keep rehanging shelves each week. Yay.

Countdown to the big day...a year ago about this time, I had pretty much figured out that something was going on, lol. I'm kind of sad; Eleanor's my last baby (*sob*) and she's nearly a toddler. She's pulling up every chance she gets and will be walking soon. She's just growing up too fast!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Eleanor!

Maybe you should get a goat for that backyard.

4/26/2006 5:13 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Happy birthday, Ellie! I hope she (and you) have a great day tomorrow!

4/26/2006 5:15 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Happy Birthday, baby Ellie! She'll always be your baby. : )

Poison ivy - we have it too. A landscape friend of mine said you can pour boiling water on it to kill it - several applications. But I don't know if your bush would survive that. We have it in an oak tree. But I also learned that Round-up is inert so will not linger around for the kids to get into once sprayed. We have an old bottle of this in the garage, tempting me.

4/27/2006 6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home