Monday, September 19, 2005

monday

Jon send off an application today for a second job, a night shift at an academic library.

I feel awful. He works so hard for us. He went to grad school full-time while working full-time to support us. But insurance and utilities are so much here that we're worse off financially than we have ever been. And insurance will be going up in January. He doesn't think I should get a job. A full-time job for me would mean very little, since the only jobs I'm qualified for would barely cover daycare (if we could find one; the ones we've heard good things about all have long waiting lists). I am thinking about trying to get a night job, the same hours Jon is looking at---7 to midnight or so. I could waitress or bartend, I guess. Not much else to do at night. I don't know how Ellie would do, though; Jon might be up with a crying baby the whole time I'm at work (that's what happened when I saw the Brothers Grimm). I feel crappy because I was the one who pushed moving here and the one who got us into this. If he gets the job, that will mean he's working 9am-midnight Monday-Thurs, 9-6 Friday.

In other downer news, I saw a mouse last night. Ugh. No good way to deal with that. At least it is motivation to clean.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was no mouse! A rat!!

9/19/2005 9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope we both get back to KC very soon.

9/21/2005 8:14 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

Hey Melanie,
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Sounds frustrating all the way around. We'd love to have you back in KC again of course! :)

9/21/2005 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home