Saturday, September 24, 2005

there but for the grace of god go i

Had a horrible experience today.

We went over to my mom's this afternoon and hung out for a while watching Thomas videos, then she invited us out to a Chinese buffet for dinner. Yay, I love Chinese :). It was just beginning to rain a bit when we left. Soon after we got on the freeway, it began pouring. Absolutely pouring; the hardest rain I have ever driven in (thanks, Rita). I could barely see the white line beside the highway and could kind of make out car lights ahead, but not well. For an awful five or ten seconds, I could not see anything at all. I was really scared; I felt much more in danger than I ever have. I was too scared to pull off, because I could not see the shoulder well enough to see if it was clear and wide enough, and I thought it would be impossible to get back on. We finally got to our exit and I pulled off into a gas station to calm down for a minute. The rest of the drive wasn't as bad, but we did got through some deep water standing in the road. It slacked up while we were eating and the drive home was manageable. Ohmigosh, I hope I never drive in rain like that again. It wasn't a lot compared to what so many have gone through, but it sure shook me.

And I'm glad to say that Jon won't be driving back down in it tomorrow; his mom has bought him a plane ticket back here. Whew. If I could barely do it for twenty minutes in a car, eight hours on a motorcycle would be horrendous.

We did have a nice morning, though. My little sister came over for a while; the kids love her, so that was nice.

Ugh, I'm still shaky from driving.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dak-Ind said...

you did the right thing! a few years back we had a farmer burnign his feild, the wind shifted and the thick black smoke covered the interstate. many many cars tried to pull to the side. 12 people died hitting other cars that werent off the road when they stopped in the dense blinding smoke. I am glad you all made it safe, i hope the food was good!

9/24/2005 11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home