Thursday, September 22, 2005

argh.

I'm pretty peeved at our apartment management today. Our lease will be ending at the beginning of November. When we moved here in May, we were offered a six month lease or a year lease. I asked twice if there was any chance that rent would be raised if we just took the six month, and was told that there was "no way". We were also told that we could go month-to-month after our lease was over with no penalty. Well, got a letter this morning that they're raising our rent by $25/month with a new lease, as long as we sign before September 30; otherwise it increases $25 plus $1/month per day until we sign. Oh, and if we want to go month to month, it's another $100/month.

Oh, I'm not happy. I called and complained and she said, "sorry, there's nothing I can do." We did write a letter to the office, saying that we planned to contact the Better Business Bureau, the state apartment association, and a few apartment search places if they wouldn't honor our original verbal agreement. Not much we can do, though, if they won't. I'm sure they're doing it because demand for rentals has increased due to the influx of new residents because of Katrina. Just so wrong.

Did find a good article on Muslim women and the hijab...I covered for about six months, but usually don't anymore. Brings up some good points that I haven't seen talked about in mainstream media. Another great source of information on this is the though-provoking The Veil and the Male Elite by Mernissi.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Ugh! I know of so many people who got screwed by their apartments. We lived in an apartment before we got married and, when we decided to move, Steve called the office TWICE and left messages giving our 30 day notice and asking them to call him if there was anything else we needed to do. No one ever called and when we went to turn in our keys they said they never got our thirty day notice so we were going to owe another month's rent. We said we wouldn't pay it and wrote some pleading, then some nasty letters to them. They turned us in to a credit agency which hassled us for a long time until we finally just ended up paying it. Every once in awhile we drive by those dumb Mansion Apartments in Independence and it still makes me so mad.

9/22/2005 7:12 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh, one more thing. Plus they charged me $25 for my fitness room key even though I had returned it! Bastards!

Do I win the award for longest comment?

9/22/2005 7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, of course, part of the problem is that the people in the apartment office usually just work there and have no more pull with the bosses than you or I. Rather than talk with any of the folks you mentioned, your best shot would be with the Attorney General's office.

9/22/2005 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home