Friday, March 17, 2006

just a scarf

And a happy end o' the week to all y'all out in Blogworld.

I finally got my house somewhat presentable, though there's an odd stink in the kitchen that I can't identify. Smells like rotten sweet potatoes (don't ask me how I know), but we're fresh out of those. Hrm.

Yesterday was kind of an odd day. I have different social circles and it's always so strange when the meet up. My sister came over, since they were out of school, and yesterday happened to be the day for a semi-regular playdate we have with other Muslim mamas and kiddos. She said she had a fine time and I know that Tristan enjoyed himself (as always), but I just kind of feel, well...odd. I think it was the first time that she'd seen me in hijab, which of course made me think about that whole issue and how I can resolve it personally.

I wore hijab for six months straight after we converted/reverted in January 2004. Then I had a bit of a crisis of faith, took it off, and shaved my head (yah, weird, I know). And, now, I wear it to the masjid, Islamic social events, and whenever else I feel like it, but I haven't worked back up to wearing it full time. Why? Well, I just can't get myself so concerned about it...I don't really think that it is obligatory to cover one's head. But wouldn't the "better safe than sorry" argument apply well here? I just don't know, I can't decide. But I know that I don't like the indecisiveness of wearing it sometimes and not wearing it sometimes. I just want to figure out a way that I can feel comfortably consistent.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

safe from what?

3/17/2006 3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When these sorts of questions come up, I always think of what Jesus said (yeah, I know, a different tradition--but it still makes sense) when asked about the jewish food prohibitions: that it is more important what comes out of our mouths than what goes into them. Seems to me that your intent is more important than what you wear. If your intent towards the folk that you are with is pure, I would think that it doesn't matter whether you wear it all the time or at appropriate times.

3/18/2006 9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home