Monday, March 21, 2005

baby genius

So, this child may very well be the sharpest thing since Schmetz needles.

Yesterday afternoon, Tristan 'helped' Jon inflate his bicycle tires. He seriously had an awesome time; he thinks that the gauge on the pump looks like a clock. The surprising thing, though, was that he was counting as he pushed down on the pump handle...and he counted all the way from one to ten, pretty understandably! I was shocked. Only six months ago, his only word was 'mama'. He has come so amazingly far.

In my neverending quest to stimulate his young mind and to give myself something more interesting to watch with him than 'Baby Neptune', I used a B&N gift cert today to get him the absolute BESTEST kid's video I've ever seen. Released only last month, They Might be Giant's 'Here Come the ABCs' is truly destined to be a classic. I've loved this group since my dad gave me one of their albums back in 1994; but, great as all their earlier stuff may be, I think that they've really found their niche in kids' entertainment. The entire video is about the alphabet and is filled with lots of new songs, illustrated by animation and puppets (my favorite is 'Who Put the Alphabet in Alphabetical Order?'). The music is really refreshing and Tristan is certainly entranced and seems much more engaged than he does with most videos. After watching it only time, he's already noticing letters more. At dinner tonight, he got a huge thrill from telling me words and watching me write them out. He seemed particularly interested in 'baby' and 'bear' starting with the same letter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home