Tuesday, March 29, 2005

the mother of invention...

We're having nighttime diapering issues again. Tristan is diaperless during the day (potty trained...?), but still quite the heavy wetter at night. We had the hardest time finding a system to work for us at all. A little over a year ago, we stumbled upon using fitteds (preferably Liz's Cloth Nighty Noodles, which I think are no longer made) with a Stacinator So-Simple cover over it. I think that the covers have about had it after so much continuous use. I've re-waterproofed them once, but would rather not deal with the chemicals again, especially since the recent info about the hazards of DWR waterproofing.

Wool has never worked for Tristan, so I figured I'd get a (non-dwr treated) polar fleece cover like a deluxe Stacinator. Then, late last night, it occured to me---I have some 200wt Malden Mills fleece in my fabric stash! I got it in a trade from another mama maybe six months ago. So, using the Domestic Sphere's 'flat pants' pattern as a jumping off place, I sewed him up a pair of fleece soaker shorts. I put two layers in the wet zone---the inner layer is only attached to the waistband, but snugly covers the diaper---so it should be as waterproof as anything. I had to make them quite a bit narrower than the pattern calls for, probably due as much to the fact that I was using bulky fleece (as opposed to lightweight woven cotton, as the pattern was designed for) as the fact that my boy is skinny like his papa. I did add a bit to the rise, though, to ensure a good fit over huge dipes.

I'm pretty pleased with the result:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you did such a great job on these!

2/06/2006 2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home