Thursday, April 07, 2005

more gbs

I started garlic last night...ran by the health food store to get some organic garlic on the way to the SNB. I seriously don't need to be worrying about this so much, especially since I am going to be getting the antibiotics anyhow. Even without them, my baby only has a 0.5% chance of contracting GBS.

Anywho, after reading this article from Gentlebirth.org and the linked article on Midwifery Today about garlic, I'm doing a garlic clove vaginally at night, five nights on, five nights off until the birth. The midwife said that I have a 'heavy colonization', so hopefully this will at least get that down a bit, if not take care of it all together. I didn't have the issues with garlic breath mentioned in the article, but I did notice a faint general garlic-ness about myself this morning.

I called to see if I could do another culture on Monday, which would be directly after five nights of treatment. The midwife wasn't very positive; she said that there had been a lot of requests for that lately, and that the doctor in charge had been getting sick of it. I also asked about the blood test to check for C-reactive protein in the baby, and she wasn't positive about that either...she seemed concerned that it would give me a 'green light' to refuse the antibiotics. Such hassle. The midwives seem really overworked. The idea of late onset GBS infection in a newborn worries me; I'm going to persue the cord blood testing at my visit on Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home