Sunday, December 04, 2005

bookworm

When I was a kid, I read books voraciously. I often had several going at a time and began reading adult novels at an early age; I finished the longest book I ever read, Anna Waldo's Sacagewea (at over 1,400 pages), in sixth grade. One of my best memories of childhood literature, though, was the C. S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. I'm excited about the movie, but worry it will ruin the story. Anywho, I came across this article and thought it was very well written:

Return To Narnia

Lewis' most devoted disciples point to his faith as the principle that animates Narnia, that makes us believe. But how to explain the "Chronicles' " allure for those who have remained impervious to Christianity, even after it was revealed to be the supreme mythos behind the stories we adored? Why do we introduce our children to the books when we have no intention of raising them in the religion? The ostensible purpose of the "Chronicles of Narnia" is to make Christians of us, but when this fails, we still have something left over.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's neat how we relive our own childhood while watching our children go through their own.

12/07/2005 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home